Sunday 28 April 2013

Better Than "Dad's" Cookies

I have made these cookies for 25 years.  They are a true family favorite.  They are slightly buttery, have wonderful spices and a great crunch.  One thing that I always do that my grandmother taught me when I was a child, is to flatten cookies with a wet fork.  She would get a small bowl of water and dip her fork into it, knock off the excess and use it to flatten her cookies.  Some people use a floured fork and there is nothing wrong with that, but I like to continue what my grandmother taught me.  She was a wonderful cook and baker, so I cherish the time I spent with her in the kitchen as a child. 


Ingredients


1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (any variety)
1 cup coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice

Method


Cream butter and both sugars together.  Beat in the egg.  Add the molasses and vanilla.

Stir remaining ingredients together and add.  Mix well.  Drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet.  Press with a floured or wet fork. Bake in a 300 degree F oven until golden, about 12 minutes. 

Makes 6 dozen.

1 comment: